Wear it out, pass it on

Posted by leighann | December 13th, 2011 | Filed under Partnerships, Who We Are

119_8016

Oh Dee, how we love thee, with your tool belt and your two-ton jack. You have always inspired us. And we’re honored that you would wear our shirt long enough to have it shred under the weight of your coveralls. You bring a whole new meaning to our motto: “wear it out, pass it on.” Keep up the good work.

For those who might not remember Dee Williams: she traded in her three bedroom bungalow for an 84-square foot house, a toothbrush and a pickup (biodiesel, that is). And for the past six years, she and her business partner have been helping other people do the same. In their business, Portland Alternative Dwellings, they design and build eco-friendly houses small enough to fit on a trailer. We were so inspired by Dee when we first met that we made a short film about her work. In fact, you can still find it on the Collective.

119_8008_1

7 Responses to “Wear it out, pass it on”

• December 14, 2011 at 7:42 am | Eric says

Always enjoyed “portraits of our friends” on the collective. Whatever happened to those?

• December 14, 2011 at 9:56 am | Jt Clough | Big Island Dog says

So love this! In a time where I keep hearing people talk of the stress of shopping and not being able to resist the urge of “one for me, one for you” these types of things are so refreshing.

We sold our home and gave away most of our stuff to live our dream without all the stuff and debt in Hawaii. Time spent with people, cooking good whole food, sharing, and bringing that message to others is so well worth it. No holiday stress and the same clothes to go to gatherings as I already have. No need for a new outfit!

The photo is way cool. Love it.

Aloha wags!

• December 14, 2011 at 2:17 pm | leighann says

Hey Eric-We love the portraits too, and we may bring them back some day. Stay tuned.

• December 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm | leighann says

JT: Aloha to you, too. We love Hawaii. In fact a few of us will be there in January. Sounds like you’ve set up quite a nice life for yourself….and glad you like Dee’s portrait. She’s a pretty amazing woman, as you can see.

• December 15, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Jonathan says

That’s awesome to see.

This is what I love about clothes well made and well loved — there is no need for MORE clothes and MORE outfits if you can have just a few of things you actually LOVE and not just WANT; this is something I especially respect as I wish I didn’t have separate rock climbing clothes and street clothes, and something I am beginning to understand more as I reevaluate things I buy.

It used to be that people would repair outerwear such as coats because they cost a month’s pay… and tailors would be paid to reverse the material (such as suits, formal coats) because the inside of the fabric would show no wear and the garment would still retain its functionality.

Although NAU is not necessarily artisan, it is a small business that fully garners my respect. You guys seem to be committed to what you are doing and doing it the right way. I had a two ply merino beanie of yours before it blew away in the wind… oh woe.

• December 16, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Sam says

Typical Aunt Dee, always giving back. More people should be like you!

• December 27, 2011 at 4:41 pm | suzie says

Can’t wear NAU clothing out since i can’t find any women’s sizes on the site. :[