FREE ground shipping on orders over $150 and FREE returns on all orders

brainwear

Posted by Josie | June 11th, 2009 | Filed under Compassionate Capitalism, Uncategorized

image

I was giddy with excitement yesterday when Jamie sent me a link to Yakkay, a Danish company that makes bike helmets and stylish helmet covers.

Yakkay gets kudos from me for more than just the cute factor. The simple equation “hipster hat + dorky helmet” was staring us in the face for decades. I love that I no longer have to make a choice between function and fashion when putting something on my head. But then again, the concept sounds familiar so maybe I’m biased.

They aren’t distributed in the U.S. yet, but there are two dealers that will ship overseas, 50 Cycles in the U.K. and Heino Cykler in Denmark.

I can’t help but wonder, is the solution to the ever-so-flattering climbing harness staring us in the face too?

6 Responses to “brainwear”

• June 11, 2009 at 2:45 pm | Jon says

These are awesome. I have been looking for a good stylish cover for some time now and this may be the answer. I got covers for my kids that they absolutely love from http://www.helmetzoo.com, but those are a bit more child oriented – even though the site has adult sizes for some covers. Thanks for the info!

• June 12, 2009 at 10:39 am | Jacob says

Yes! Now I can finally rid myself of the last vestige of spandex clad racer gear.
    My helmet has been the one area where I would not compromise function for style.
    Thank you NAUists for continuing to show us that “tech” doesn’t have to mean geeking out.

• June 15, 2009 at 11:29 am | libby says

do you think they have one that will make my head look smaller? i look like a bobblehead in a helmet. :)

• June 17, 2009 at 8:34 am | ncsf says

Josie,

We saw mini skirts on the ski hill quite a lot this winter (over ski pants)… i think that your fashionable climbing harness could be related? I think that climbing gear isn’t sparkly enough…

ncsf

• June 17, 2009 at 8:37 am | ncsf says

the furry “luzern” helmet on the Yakkay site is brilliant, by the way.

• June 17, 2009 at 9:20 am | josie.norris@nau.com says

Hi NCSF,

I love the Luzern style too. My wheels are spinning trying to figure out a way to make one of these and retro-fit it to my existing helmet.
    I don’t think the mini-skirt over the ski pant trend reached Oregon yet. Ironically, we have a skirt coming out next fall made of durable recycled poly soft-shell fabric with our fuzzy shroud of purrin lining on the inside. I might have to be the first to bring it to OR next winter.
    Cheers,