Plastic Fantastic

Posted by Caitlin | April 3rd, 2009 | Filed under Uncategorized

caitlinblog6

Reduce, reuse, recycle.  It’s a pretty simple concept that most of us think about on a daily basis but for some reason, when it comes to the “reuse” part, I’m stumped. The great people at Real Simple magazine have a feature called “New Uses for Old Things” highlighting creative ways to reuse every day items. Check out their latest “10 New Uses for Old Plastic Bags.”

6 Responses to “Plastic Fantastic”

• April 5, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Mary Hanlon says

I enjoy following you, but am so disappointed in this recommended read.
    You can do better than that! I thought this thought kitchen was dedicated to stirring the pot? This list you recommend is not very thought provoking. If you are looking for new ways to reuse plastic bags, check out this video from Threadbanger. http://www.threadbanger.com/episode/THR_20090320 I mean sure, maybe these options are also just another way of prolonging the inevitable, but at least you might get more use out of it, and upcycle the bags rather than just use them more than once. The list presented by Real Simple is quite awful, and in no way innovative or creative.

thanks for listening,
    Mary

• April 5, 2009 at 9:43 pm | violet says

“Simplicity is the nature of great souls.”

• April 6, 2009 at 6:46 am | Kevin says

Good stuff Caitlin – Seems to me that the road to the green ecotopia is paved with a million small steps. The method for provoking behavioral change needs to involve some combination of hitting people over the head with the common sense frying pan and constantly poking them with some simple suggestions that may lead to bigger and better actions. Sure, the RS solutions are not all that radical but it is the general idea, not the specifics that matter here. If the general concept of reuse presented in this series makes a couple of otherwise complacent trash tossers a little less so, then it plays a valuable role as one of those small steps.

Keep it up.
    Kevin

• April 6, 2009 at 11:45 am | Mary Hanlon says

Hi Caitlin, Violet and Kevin, thank you for your comments.

I do appreciate the necessary importance of small change, and do understand that for many, creating new habits is a great place to start. My disappointment lies not in the fact that the list exists, but rather in that it was suggested here. Now, perhaps I miss wrote, and should have considered the Nau readership that will benefit from the RS list. It is not the simplicity of the list that I found problematic but rather the fact that, for me, it was unhelpful.

Great discussion,
    Mary

• April 8, 2009 at 5:10 pm | Caitlin says

Mary, Violet and Kevin,

Thanks so much for all of your comments. It’s this kind of dialogue that will create change, big and small.

Caitlin

• April 14, 2009 at 8:43 am | micha says

hello, I do appreciate the fact it will get people to think about the plastic bags before just tossing them out. I am not impressed with a lot of the real simple tips, because the bags are still ending up in the land fill. Using plastic grocery sacks for picking up dog waste has got to stop!!!