This Is My Bike: #4 in a Series

Posted by Josie | February 18th, 2009 | Filed under Uncategorized

Josie_zip-tie_bike1.jpg
I bought Big Pink in Reno back in 2004. If you’re the girl in Reno that sold her to me, you can stop worrying, she’s very happy here in Portland.

Our relationship began when we logged a few unusual miles circling the playa together. Since then, she’s carried me and my buddies around on her pegs, has yet to get a flat, and rides smooth even when I’m wearing girl shoes.

Her latest addition is the studded tire option for the rare icy Portland snow days. During “Arctic Blast 2008” (for those of you not from Portland, you must say this in a deep voice with lots of intensity), Mark, Ian and I put zip-ties on Big Pink. I rode around SW Portland delivering presents all afternoon on ice covered roads and watched as cars struggled at each intersection to stop or start moving.

They say the true test of any relationship is to go through all four seasons together. I think I hit the relationship jackpot.

9 Responses to “This Is My Bike: #4 in a Series”

• February 18, 2009 at 9:00 pm | carolita says

Is that a trick for riding in snow? The zip ties?

• February 19, 2009 at 12:58 am | jeffgrado says

zip ties? so simple!

• February 19, 2009 at 9:24 am | Josie says

Yes, a trick for riding in the snow; the common zip tie. Hal reminded me of a saying that applies- “necessity is the mother of invention”. I don’t know who came up with it first, but it worked like a charm.

• February 19, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Gerard says

Zip ties for traction – genius! Will this work for my scooter?

• February 19, 2009 at 5:19 pm | Tyler C says

wew hew! pink bike!

• February 20, 2009 at 5:15 pm | A former voice of Nau says

I think big pink would really like a few laps around a certain lagoon in a certain city on a certain island in Brasil… Happy Carnaval Josie!!! Miss you guys-

• February 20, 2009 at 6:06 pm | Josie says

Big Pink and I would love to join you for Carnival! And, I’m sure we can rig something up to tow our boards. You can ride on her pegs to the beach, I’ll pedal. Miss you too!

• February 23, 2009 at 12:39 pm | libby says

you are so cool Josie!

• March 19, 2009 at 11:05 am | Brighton says

Hmmm… who would have thought all it takes is zip ties to make a relationship last through winter!