FREE ground shipping on orders over $150 and FREE returns on all orders

No Logo?

Posted by admin | February 11th, 2009 | Filed under Uncategorized

Picture 1.png
Given traditional marketing conventions it could be argued that the most radical decision we’ve made at Nau was to eschew putting an external logo on our product. The idea was first put forward by Mark and Peter. They championed it from a product design point of view.

Our rationale (yes, it quickly became our rationale) was threefold:

1) If over time we applied a strong design point of view consistently across the entire product line, people would begin to recognize the product as Nau product.
2) Our audience (not to mention ourselves) were sick and tired of being somebody else’s billboard. The world is littered with logo’s. Besides, clothing is a personal expression of the wearer’s identity, not some detached entity that happened to make the product.
3) We wanted to invite dialogue and conversation. The idea was that if I saw you wearing an interesting piece of clothing and it didn’t carry a logo, chances are it would spark a meaningful conversation.

Our collective feeling is that our approach and philosophy is the right one for Nau. People have asked us if we’ve reconsidered it along the way. The answer is no. Based on feedback we’ve received, our conviction is strong that it was the right path for us to pursue.

So, how about the idea of renting out your eyelids as an advertising space? That’s right, your eyelids. Feelunique is offering you 10 pence per wink in exchange for displaying the company’s logo on your eyelid space. If you sign up you’ll get 10 pence per wink up to a total of 100 per model. I assume it must have been successful because applications are now closed.

8 Responses to “No Logo?”

• February 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm | Richard says

Your point #1 is true. I was in a cafe getting breakfast and the guy behind the counter recognized my riding jacket and asked if it was from Nau. #3 has also been true, with many people asking where I got the jacket. I hope they’ve followed up and checked out the site.

• February 12, 2009 at 3:08 pm | Beth says

Thank you so much for continuing this philosophy! I hate paying to be someone’s advertisement, so much that I often remove external tags and logos on the products I purchase. The quality of a design should speak for itself, rather than relying on a logo to make up for deficiencies. I can also attest to #3 being true as several people have asked me where I have gotten my clothes.

• February 12, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Aaron says

I avoid buying any clothing that prominently display the maker’s logo. Turns out I’ve bought a lot of your stuff.

• February 13, 2009 at 9:50 pm | Christine says

I have always appreciated that there weren’t any obvious external logos on Nau gear. It’s definitely more my style not to wear logos and I think it makes each garment more classy. Still, it’s interesting to me to read your post because, since the first time I found your webstore, I have always been able to recognize a Nau design. One of the most obvious Nau trademarks for me are the metal buttons (like on my Urbane jacket). Anyway… keep up the great work! Can’t wait til your next sale ;)

• February 18, 2009 at 12:25 pm | hal says

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. We intend to maintain our low key approach to logo display, and hope that the product will speak for itself.

• February 20, 2009 at 9:59 am | Felix says

Just to pile on. I’m glad you’re taking a unique path here. One of the reasons I like your stuff is because it doesn’t have a logo.

And yes, I’ve had many people ask me about my Asylum jacket and Shroud of Purrin trench. It makes me chuckle when I see a ubiquitous TNF jacket.

I must be a snob :)

• March 9, 2009 at 2:08 pm | PRand says

As a designer in favor of minimal understatement, the unfinished sentence, the peek-a-boo image. Understatement encourages engagement. And that’s usually good. This logoless post hit a nerve as I am watching what is happening in ronald McDonald land. You may have already seen this story… mcdonalds cooks up minimalism. no logo.

Enjoying your total effort!

• March 16, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Lety says

What you’re doing is working! My husband saw a friend wearing a beautiful NAU jacket and it sparked a conversation on where he bought it. That is how I ended up on your site.

Thanks!

I hate logos too. I think they are ugly, and I remove them as soon as I buy something that has them.