Painting the Big Apple Green

Posted by Josie | February 29th, 2008 | Filed under Personal Reflection, Positive Change

nyc-home-sketch2.gifNext week I’m going to leave Portland’s bike lanes behind and fly to New York City for Nau’s warehouse sale. First and foremost, I plan on eating a lot of delicious food. Second, I plan on taking notes about how New York City takes advantage of the dense population to be more sustainable and socially conscious than other cities.

Having never been to NYC, I can guess the obvious reasons New Yorkers have a smaller carbon footprint — extensive public transportation, small living spaces, and the ability to get anything your heart desires by walking three blocks or less. What about the less obvious examples that make it a socially conscious city?

Openhouse, the venue where Nau is holding the warehouse sale, is one example of a hip NYC retail space doing business unusual. Like-minded companies rent this beautiful space for a variety of artistic, creative and socially responsible events: GOOD Magazine made it their Community Center for the month of December, Joni Mitchell’s Art Expedition was launched here, and it hosted a Frank Tell Fashion showcase. Why Openhouse? In addition to its great location and clean design, 5% of the lease cost for this space goes to the non-profit organization of the renter’s choice. In the case of our sale, it is a win-win-win for Openhouse, Nau, and Kiva, who will receive 5% of our lease in addition to 5% of our net sales from our four day event.

Now that I’ve found one socially conscious business, does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to eat in SoHo?

Nau Warehouse Sale NYC
Where: Openhouse Gallery, 201 Mulberry St.
When: March 6 – March 9
Thursday 11am – 7pm
Friday + Saturday noon – 8pm
Sunday noon – 6pm

16 Responses to “Painting the Big Apple Green”

• February 29, 2008 at 11:52 am | Minor says

Will the Warehouse sale also be online, or just in NYC?????? I love NAU but I don’t think I can justify flying all the way to NYC to get a deal.

• February 29, 2008 at 12:51 pm | Josie says

Great question. New York City is it; warehouse sale pricing will not be available online.

It might be time to call in a favor to that long lost friend who owes you one!

• February 29, 2008 at 1:28 pm | Minor says

Thanks for the quick response on the Warehouse sale. My next question is “When will Austin, TX get a NAU store, Austin is a community that would embrace the principals of NAU?” Can’t wait for the Austin Warehouse Sale!!!!!!

• February 29, 2008 at 1:29 pm | Minor says

Sorry, “principles” not “principals”

• February 29, 2008 at 5:10 pm | Josie says

No, we don’t have a store coming to Austin, but I do have good news for you!

Nau will be at the Utne Reader Party on Saturday March 15th during the South by Southwest Festival. Come join us at the Thirsty Nickel on 6th Street for an afternoon with Billy Bragg, Rogue Wave, South and Carrie Rodriguez from 1-6 p.m..

• February 29, 2008 at 7:38 pm | Makenna says

I can tell you plenty of good places to eat in SoHo. My favorite is Bistro Les Amis, its on Spring Street…Near W. Broadway. Best French Bistro in town, and fairly affordable. Bondi Road on Rivington also very good.

Or you could just corner me at the sale and get me to tell you about it all!

Thanks for all of your help the other day.

• March 1, 2008 at 10:06 am | Ian says

Makenna,

Thanks for the heads up about good eateries. We’ll check out Bistro Les Amis. Does anybody have additional NYC must go to spots that we should know about?

• March 1, 2008 at 10:45 am | Michael says

Can’t wait for the warehouse sale. Was in Chicago a few weeks ago and came across the Nau shop and was very pleased (and bought a wonderful jacket on sale). Then I was thrilled to be told there would be a sale in NYC, where I live (and I work in SoHo – even better).

Some meal ideas:

EU, on E. 4th St. in the East Village is one of my fave spots to eat. I also recommend wandering through the Union Sqaure greenmarket on Saturday to see another way NY-ers have embraced sustainability – locally produced, sustainable food. Also check out the Clinton St. Baking Company on the Lower East Side for delicious organic meals. They have a great ethos there. http://www.clintonstreetbaking.com/

There are a number of wonderful places that have been cropping up all over the city that embrace sustainable, farm-to-table food. Applewood and Flatbush Farms, both in Brooklyn, are also worth the trip (and they’re both easily accessible on the subway). Check out NYC Slow Food for other good options:

• March 2, 2008 at 11:04 am | Kris says

I’d recommend the MudSpot in the East Village (http://www.themudtruck.com/spots.html) best coffee in town and good, mostly organic cafe food.

• March 3, 2008 at 10:06 am | Ben says

Hi Josie-
    Excited that you guys are coming to town. I’m a writer who has worked with GOOD many times in the past, and actually published a book a couple years back about eco-friendly living in NYC. Called “The Big Green Apple” (www.greenappleguide.com)

So I’ll point you to the website that I’m starting w/ a couple of friends: http://www.evolvist.com. It’s a directory of all that’s eco-friendly and socially responsible here in NYC (and eventually, more widespread). The site grew out of my frustration w/ print media’s inability to keep up with this rapidly changing field. We’ve really just barely launched, so it’s still a bit buggy, but it should be able to help steer you to some good spots in the area.

And for personal recommendations–
    Couldn’t agree more w/ Kris’ recommendation for the MudSpot. If you dig on “responsible” meat, Sparky’s American Food (I think it’s still open) is right around Openhouse and does a good job w/ anti-biotic- and hormone-free, grass-fed, pastured burgers and dogs. . And whether or not you’re an herbivore, you can’t beat the vegetarian Thai restaurant Pukk, also nearby.

Of course the Union Square Greenmarket (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday) should be experienced by all.

And if you care to venture out to Brooklyn, I’ve got a whole slew of “can’t miss” spots–from cafes to design studios to eco-boutiques. Let me know if you plan on making it out to our burgeoning borough!

Hopefully we’ll get a chance to meet at Openhouse–I helped organize the “environment” station for the GOOD December event there a couple months back, which Nau was also featured at. And I’ll be there Wednesday night for the NAU-Kiva.org event on Wednesday.

• March 3, 2008 at 2:17 pm | Michael says

hey – not sure why my comment from march 1 wasn’t approved. Email me and let me know. I’ll edit it. Cheers, Michael

• March 3, 2008 at 4:06 pm | marian says

Cannot wait for Nau’s NYC debut! As far as eating – two spots right by openhouse – Bread on Spring between Mott and Elizabeth, Cafe Habana, corner of Elizabeth and Prince. Also, great, great Dosas at Hampton Chutney Company on Prince between Crosby and Lafayette. Agree with the mudtruck references, but if you want good coffee closer to your Mulberry locale, gimmee coffee on Mott between Spring and Prince will tide you over ’til you can get further north.

• March 4, 2008 at 1:04 pm | dino says

NYC awaits you. Those living out in suburbia would be surprised to find we new yorkers/brooklynites have the biggest, greenest community in ALL the Nation and the largest active biking community and the most sophisticated public transportation system (as imperfect as it is) around. Spring is here now! see you soon…!!

• March 5, 2008 at 8:59 am | josie says

Thanks for all the great infomraiton about sustainability and restaurants. We went to Bread on Monday and the french bistro yesterday. Both the food and people watching were amazing! Thank you!

• March 5, 2008 at 10:35 am | Adam says

As suggested by Marian, you have to try Cafe Habana in SoHo if you still have time there. The most amazing corn on the cob! There can be a really long wait sometimes to get in, but it is so worth it! Really great drinks, too.

• March 5, 2008 at 11:58 am | Michael says

Hey guys – just walked by the location of the sale and it looks great. Can’t wait to see/meet you tomorrow.

I also third Cafe Habana. Terrific. There’s a take out counter around the corner if you don’t have time to wait for a table.