Blue and White and Sweet All Over

Posted by admin | January 28th, 2008 | Filed under Outdoor Sport, Who We Are

Hiking for the good stuff!

You know those days when all you want to do is be at home, drinking coffee with your love and watching the weather out the window? Well, if I was at home on Saturday I’m sure that’s how I would have felt. But I was in Utah, burnt after a week on the road to the Sundance Film Festival and the Outdoor Retailer show. I missed my wife, my French Press and any amount of humidity (good thing chapstick falls from the sky like manna at the OR show). I was not at home. Lucky for me, however, Utah in January just happens to have a seriously good cure for homesickness: Alta powder.

So, while the coffee and air quality may not be stellar, that’s irrelevant when you wake up early, beat the crowds (mostly) and score first tracks on Ballroom and the Devil’s Castle traverse and generally ski yourself silly in fresh snow under blue skies. I laughed out loud more than once on Saturday, skiing with an old friend and pushing myself as hard as I could, finding untracked stashes and just burning out the crud of travel and trade show lighting. Home now, I’m rejuvenated by a day in the mountains followed by day of cooking and couch time with my girl. Today, my thoughts turn to the coming storm, and what it has in store for Mt. Hood. Funny how the mountains can do that you.

8 Responses to “Blue and White and Sweet All Over”

• January 29, 2008 at 9:57 pm | LMW says

Otis: Just think. If you and your sweetie lived in Jackson Hole, every day would be a love-filled powder day. But, I’m sure it’s because you don’t and because you suffered (and survived) the OR shpeals and rows of “product” that made your Alta day that much sweeter. Thanks for sharing!

• January 30, 2008 at 4:34 pm | Otis says

Thanks Lauren! I’ve no doubt life in Jackson would be sweet, but my heart is in Portland (and my job!) and this is where I’m staying. But, I’ll be sure to come visit and get a tour of all the gems soon. Thanks for reading!

• January 31, 2008 at 7:53 pm | Emilie says

EXCUSE ME we had some pretty awesome air quality while you were here: one whole day when you could see across the city with no yellow or brown stuff obscuring the view! Everyone was stuck in the Salt Palace on that day so I took some photos to preserve the moment. Next time you’re here I’ll show you where the good coffee is too. Salt Lake City is in fact pretty awesome!

• January 31, 2008 at 8:34 pm | Otis says

It’s true, I admit: There was some good air quality, but I didn’t get to enjoy it. And I’m sure there is good coffee–so yes, I need your guidance! I’m not dissing SLC, I just don’t get a chance to explore its pockets when I make it there. And I count some fine people as my friends there, Ms. Lee, yourself included. Too bad I didn’t get to see you this time around! Climb on!

• February 11, 2008 at 11:55 am | Greg says

Otis,

I was on the other side of the “hill” at Snowbird Saturday and Sunday before the show. We should just be glad OR isn’t held in Vegas. I just returned from Shot Show in Las Vegas. I went from the freedom and bliss of mountains and snow to being herded into a hell, filled with countless cabs, a fake Manhattan sky line, and endless buffets. Salt Lake is heaven on earth… comparatively speaking.

Here are some Photos from Snowbird, if I can get them to work on here.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/wake1ghuth/WingLake1.jpg[/IMG]

Later,

Greg

• February 11, 2008 at 11:56 am | Greg says

• February 11, 2008 at 12:00 pm | Greg says

• February 11, 2008 at 12:04 pm | Otis says

Thanks for the note Greg. And you’re right–I’m damn glad it’s not in Vegas. it looks like the photobucket links needs a password. If you email it to me, I’ll see if I can get it posted here:

otisDOTrubottomATnauDOTcom