This Is My Bike: #3 in a Series

Posted by Pierce | August 6th, 2007 | Filed under Outdoor Sport, Personal Reflection

this is my bike.JPGI am a bike slob. I never clean it, tune it, or really touch it except for riding. The last time I went into the shop the owner begged me to clean it before he had to see it again. The bike is set up according to factory settings despite six distinct adjustment points on the suspension system. I have lubed the chain on occasion, but generally only when it’s bone dry. I could spend more time caring for my rig, but I’d rather spend the time riding or doing something else.

I picked this particular bike up in November of last year. I am normally not an advocate of new equipment making a person a better athlete (see the Sizzlin’ post). However, in the case of mountain bikes, I think technology has done a lot for pedal pushers. Before this bike I had a hard tail and rode it on endless cross-country rides. When I hopped in the saddle on this sucker I began riding trails that were previously unimaginable. For the first time I’ve had both wheels simultaneously, and intentionally, off the ground, I’ve ridden skinnies across riverbeds, and I’ve blown through rock fields that I previously had to walk. A full-suspension has opened new doors in riding and has expanded my definition of mountain biking. It has given me the confidence to try new rides outside of the pure XC realm. You wouldn’t be able to tell from my care and maintenance record, but I love this bike.

6 Responses to “This Is My Bike: #3 in a Series”

• August 7, 2007 at 7:50 am | Matt says

Awesome bike…I have the Specialized Epic Marathon and it totally rocks! It also made me a much better bike rider.

• August 8, 2007 at 9:20 pm | chris says

oh man, just wait ’til you get on a 29er

• August 13, 2007 at 7:51 am | Carl says

Pierce,

Nice bike!

Here’s some pix of my first hard tail: http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/254948

Carl (Portland)

• August 14, 2007 at 6:32 am | Carl says

eh.. I mean my first full suspension bike…. after riding a hard tail.

• August 22, 2007 at 8:13 pm | Tyler Cheung says

i love my hybrid….that mountain bike in the picture looks sweet but i’d be deathly afraid of it getting stolen in the cambridge/boston area…maybe portland is more bike friendly…

• September 2, 2007 at 7:32 pm | Carl says

That is not an issue because it is not a bike you cruise around town with. The only time my ride is left unattended is when it is locked to my rack on my car while I’m parked at the Rogue drinking beer after returning from a ride. When I’m not riding, it (or should I say she) is neatly tucked in between me and my wife in bed. There is no way I would ever consider leaving my ride chained to a lamp post overnight. That’s what your crappy commuter is for.