One Up’d: Free Gas

Posted by Pierce | July 6th, 2007 | Filed under Personal Reflection, Positive Change, Sustainability

Veggie-Oil.gifA long-time friend recently returned from Asia and moved into our house. Prior to his departure he hocked many of his worldly goods, including his car. Upon returning, he needed some wheels and was eager to reduce his oil dependency. Listening to me spray about the new 44 mpg TDi, he was destined to one-up me. After pouring over craigslist he found a veggie oil-converted, 1981 rabbit. Then, having inquired at local restaurants, he found a golf course snack shop that will give him 14 gallons of grease a week as long as he picks it up. So, for as good as I was feeling about running biodiesel and getting 44 mpg, my buddy has up’d the ante and will be driving for free.

5 Responses to “One Up’d: Free Gas”

• July 9, 2007 at 8:49 pm | A.M.R. Carmichael says

I’m enjoying your website. There are many ways to sustainability. I want a car. Would love for it to be economic and fuel/emissions efficient etc. For now I take public transit every day, everywhere. Recently I went to Home Depot to pick up some gardening stuff (which my local independents – 5 of which I called first – didn’t carry the product I was looking for). There are limits to what I can carry on buses & trolleys so in between I augment with taxis, and occasional rides from friends. The city where I live also has a Ride Share (cost less than renting a car). We aren’t up to running trolleys & buses on discarded fast food oil yet but given time who knows? Meanwhile the downer is that public transit here is unionized which means every new contract there are strikes and/or near strikes, regular fare hikes and our state has yet to pass a sustainable public transit funding bill. It would seem the state legislators all live in nice little suburban hamlets where they can easily afford 2 cars and the gas/maintenance, etc that goes with. Whereas in a city, many people are dependent on public transit to get to work. Imagine over 1 million people a day loosing their jobs b/c there was a strike and they weren’t able to make alternative arrangements…just thought I’d share…

• July 10, 2007 at 12:03 pm | marguerite manteau-rao says

Thank you for inviting me to your kitchen. I enjoyed reading all your posts very much. For a different kind of green banter and humor, may I invite you to my home?
    Having been raised Catholic, the notion of sin is quite familiar to me . . . May you enjoy taking a tour of my blog, “My Inconvenient Truth: The Daily Sins of a Green Girl Wannabe”. I love hearing about other people’s ‘sins’ as well. Would love to hear about yours, in response to mines!

Keep up the blog!

marguerite (in Palo Alto)

• July 10, 2007 at 1:29 pm | Ineke van Waardenburg says

Pierce,

I’ve really appreciated reading your experiences trying to break the oil habit. For quite some time, I have wanted to reduce my consumption on this front, get a more economical car, save money, etc. Well, I’ve decided to go cold turkey and sell my car. I have not done this yet as I keep making excuses like, “I need to get it detailed first” or “I have to fix the crack in the windshield”. One day while walking to the bus stop, I realized I forgot my sunglasses in the car and actually contemplated walking back and driving to work so I could wear my shades. Maybe by announcing my decision, it will propel me forward.

What is it about owning a car that is so important to me?

I can certainly ride the bus to work, I live within blocks of the grocery store, I have 3 flexcar stops near my home, I live with someone who owns a car. There is no possible way I would ever be stuck. Yet still, there is something holding me back.

I always love a little friendly competition so knowing I might be upping the ante on the both of you makes me smile. And it just might be the ticket to get me to post my ride on craigslist!

Ineke

• July 25, 2007 at 10:01 pm | Julio Darshman says

Your friend sounds extremely sustainable Pierce. I admire his sustainable attitude toward making this planet more sustainable, and all the while doing it in a sustainable fashion. However I was curious on the sustainability factor on circumventing federal highway taxes? Does hangtime only use his stinky rabbit on private property?

• August 6, 2007 at 11:27 am | N. Robins says

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the veggie fuel emissions compare to diesel/gasoline emissions? Somehow, used kitchen grease burning off into the environment, while cheap/free, doesn’t sound like it’s the most eco-friendly move. I could be wrong. Gasoline products certainly aren’t great, either.