Take a SiCKO Day

Posted by Rick | June 29th, 2007 | Filed under Positive Change

SiCKO, Michael Moore’s new documentary about the American healthcare system is opening today. Judging by the trailer, it looks like it may be worth taking a sick day to catch the matinee!

7 Responses to “Take a SiCKO Day”

• June 29, 2007 at 3:05 pm | Mark says

A funny related note from the Daily Show w/Jon Stewart: the other night on the show was that Jon’s guest Michael Moore was poking fun at the Larry King show about bumping him the night of his appearance with Larry to have Paris Hilton take his spot as the guest…now talk about sicko!

Maybe the next Moore film will be about talk show hosts…could be very funny.

Does sound like a great sick day event!

• June 30, 2007 at 4:03 pm | Michele says

I saw this movie on opening day and even though the theater wasn’t filled to the brim or sold out by any means after watching the film I realized that every American really needs to see this. Its very well done,creative and entertaining to watch but more important essential to see for the facts and truth of our American health lifestyle and government system! :) Have you seen it yet?

• July 10, 2007 at 12:10 pm | Meg says

I love Micheal Moore and what he has done to open the eyes of the sleeping public, but obese persons put a HUGE strain on the health care sytem. He should have become a vegetarian, started working out and lost 40 pounds before doing this movie…

• July 20, 2007 at 7:57 am | MN Web Design says

I still haven’t seen SICKO, but I am definitely looking forward to it. Thanks for reminding me!

• July 25, 2007 at 5:10 pm | Colorado Livin' says

I saw Sicko and to be honest did not get out of it what everyone else did. I think Moore did a tremendous injustice when his presentation was so one-sided and that premise was: U.S. healthcare bad, everyone else good. And he looked at it from only those angles. He didn’t mention the fact that in Canada and the U.K. it takes weeks for the simplest of procedures and that finding medication for some illneses such as AIDS is almost impossible. In fact they come to the states to recieve such meds and procedures. Do we have problems though? YES! Our prescription drugs are out of this world and having for-profit hospitals for instance don’t help. At the same time though, where else in the world as much as in the U.S. is research conducted on illnesses, surgeries, medication, etc? That research is expensive and behind a lot of the cost unfortunately we Americans have to pay for. It’s nice when Brazil for instance makes generic versions of AIDS cocktails and give it to their citizens for almost nothing but at the same time somewhere in the U.S. doctors and companies and taxpayers spent a lot of money and time only for their results to be copied. I am not saying what Brazil is doing is wrong, they are looking out for their people, but there is two-sides to a story and as usual Michael Moore fails to give us that and that’s an injustice for those who follow him so strong and have their eyes somehow opened only because they may have simply just failed to really look. Which you don’t need a Michael Moore to do.

That from your Conservative, try to be green, absolutely in love with Colorado and the world common sense environmentalist.

• July 25, 2007 at 5:26 pm | Colorado Livin' says

That last sentence was in no way to be “smart” or cocky but rather to show that in this The Collective, we as individuals are also one walking, talking collectives on our own! When I wrote that I realized that and had to add what helps myself as a collective of many things to come up with ideas and opinions to add to the pot!

• July 30, 2007 at 10:24 am | Rick says

Hey Colorado,

All opinions are welcomed in our Collective. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen the film yet (been out of the country), but I’m just grateful that we live in a place where films like Moore’s can be made as a counterpoint to the spew of corporate propaganda that we’re subjected daily in the mainstream media. It’s equally great that we can have this kind of dialogue afterword. I’m sure if you are persistant enough, you could even challenge Moore’s views directly with him on his blog. That’s pretty cool.