Rope Therapy

Posted by hal | February 14th, 2007 | Filed under Outdoor Sport, Personal Reflection, Who We Are

CIMG0270.jpgWe’re in the thick of preparing ourselves for becoming an actual business”launching the commerce part of our website in a matter of weeks and the first of our retail stores over the next couple of months”and we’re all feeling the effects.

As pressures mount, the stress levels do too. Several of us here at the shop have taken to the climbing gym as our particular form of stress release. It’s proven to be much more effective than the therapist’s couch, and much healthier than the two hour liquid lunch. The best part, however, is that it’s allowed us to know one another in a setting far removed from the office and our office roles. When you’ve had the chance to trust a person at the end of your rope, and allowed them the same opportunity, it carries over into your relationship at work.

We’re trying to convince a few more people each week to come join us, with the goal of having at least half the staff strung out on belay by May, at which time, weather permitting, we’ll shift our focus to the outdoor venues of Smith Rock and the local crags.

7 Responses to “Rope Therapy”

• February 14, 2007 at 2:00 pm | gabriel amadeus says

I encourage you to check out the circuit bouldering gym in john’s landing as well. (if you haven’t already) I found the atmosphere to be much more social and fun — and less crowded. I’ll be headed there as soon as the insanity of minibikewinterIV is over!

But the real beauty does lie down at smith :)

• February 14, 2007 at 3:01 pm | John says

Hal

If this is an invite for non-Nau employees as well (I presume it is), I’m in. Would love the opportunity to be a part of the climbing crew. Do you have a set schedule, or is it more of a when it works out situation?

Looks like Portland Rock Gym on the picture and Gabriel got a point about the crowd. However, if the John’s Landing only has bouldering available, the on belay aspect and the feeling of putting your life in another person’s hands is lost.

John

• February 14, 2007 at 4:25 pm | Rick says

We could add some risk by removing the pad and having someone stand directly beneath the boulderer, arms outstretched… But this is coming from a person who hasn’t yet learned to belay. Ahem.

• February 14, 2007 at 8:40 pm | John says

Rick, Your my climbing partner as long as I’m the boulderer. Joke aside, Portland Rock Gym conduct classes where you can learn how to belay. The cost was $50.00 when I took the class.

Also, for those interested in meeting John Harlin III and listen to his story about coming to grips with his father’s death from a fall while climbing the north face of the Eiger, he will be in Hood River at the Columbia Center for the Arts Sunday, March 11 @ 4PM. I’m sure many of you already have read the story in the latest issue of Outside. Here’s your chance to meet the man. For more in depth info, here’s the link: http://www.columbiaarts.org/calendar.asp.

• February 15, 2007 at 8:35 am | Sunil says

How do I become part of the team? :)

I’m getting more enamored with the company and the mission every day. I can’t wait to see the final product.

• February 15, 2007 at 9:52 am | kate says

I’m very happy to see Nau on the scene. If I still lived in Portland (miss it) I’d gladly give your team a catch. I lived there before the gym moved to the Pearl, the community was amazing then. Rope therapy is the best.
    Keep up the great work!