Reasons to Love Portland, #12: Happy Hours

Posted by Rick | January 29th, 2007 | Filed under Who We Are

Le Happy copy.jpg

Of the three West Coast cities I’ve lived in over the past ten years (SF, LA, PDX) Portland has proven the happiest. By “happyâ€? I mean that its bars and restaurants are most willing to offer drinks and food at discounted prices ” often twice daily ” which in turn makes the city’s residents more smiley.

I attribute the abundance of happy hours in this city to our proximity to the 45th Parallel. It rains more here and it gets darker earlier in the winter. Cozy gathering spots like bars and coffee shops thrive by offering happy places for residents to hunker down during months when it’s tough to hang outside.

While the more traditional happy hours of around 4-6 pm are a favorite of the Nau staff (especially when meetings can be scheduled at our local crepe-and-cocktail spot Le Happy), it’s the innovative 9-11 pm slot that keeps us coming back for more. Those just so happen to be the hours that find us rolling back into the city after a day on the mountain or in the surf. And nothing beats a four buck burger-and-beer special to nourish sore muscles before beddy-bye.
Some of our favorite happy hour spots:

1. Le Happy: Try the “Le Trash Blancâ€? special (Three bucks for a bacon and cheddar crepe with a bottle of PBR).
  2. Andina: Four dollar drinks and Peruvian tapas at 2005′s restaurant of the year.
  3. Portland City Grill: A PDX fave that’s a bit stiff, but has an unmatched view and happy hour menu.
  4. Sapphire Hotel: Once a den of iniquity, now only the décor and dollar PBR tallboys hark back to the good ol’ days.
  5. Pambiche: Called their “Hora del Amigo,â€? this highly regarded Cuban joint has beer/wine specials and snacks for under three bucks. The only thing missing is hard liqs.

6 Responses to “Reasons to Love Portland, #12: Happy Hours”

• January 30, 2007 at 7:46 am | James says

I like seeing the bike parked outside of Le Happy in the picture. It has been a long time since I have been to Stumptown, but bikes, beer, and coffee are the three things that collectively (and loosely) form my mental image of life there.

• January 31, 2007 at 4:17 pm | Rick says

Bikes, beer and brew… all things we’re very enthusiastic about!

• February 14, 2007 at 6:33 pm | gabriel amadeus says

A friend just cluded me in on these two AMAZING tools, one for finding free wild edibles within the city, and the other an interactive happy hour guide!

• February 15, 2007 at 11:25 am | Rick says

That link to urban edibles is incredible! (Poet and I didn’t know it.) Seems like a very good subject for a blog post here in the Kitchen!

Rick

• October 1, 2008 at 11:41 am | Arcade says

I’m thinking I will go with the Ultimate Arcade II design… I need to find someone to build the cabinet as I don’t do wood work & live in a small apartment & have no tools… I’m looking at family members at the moment, hopefully that will work, but we’ll see…

• [...] has broken through, giving us a taste of spring. Biking with somebody you’ve got a crush on to somewhere you can get a buzz on is one of the things we look forward to most when the mercury rises. Which brings to mind a couple [...]