The Big Dance at Nelscott Reef

Posted by Rick | December 16th, 2006 | Filed under Outdoor Sport, Personal Reflection

choppernelscott.jpg

I had no idea what to expect when I arrived in Lincoln City, Oregon for the Nelscott Reef Tow Classic. On the drive there, I revisited my opinions on tow-in surfing: that the sport bypasses much of what real surfing is about via loud, jet powered watercraft. With tow-ins there’s no paddling necessary at all. No timing your pop-up in order to drop in on the most critical part of a wave. Instead, just whip into a huge wave as early as you like, do fifty s-turns as the swell grows, then fade back into the slot. I simply couldn’t relate.

The sky on Friday morning was eerily rosy and foreboding. An old sailor’s adage came to mind: “Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning.â€? Sure enough, the first glimpse of the sea under that dramatic sunrise made my knees rattle. From my perspective driving down Hwy 101, the beach break was bigger than an Indian reservation casino overlooking the ocean.

Nelscott_Shorebreak2.jpgWhen I got to the contest site, a small crowd was already gathering along a bluff overlooking Nelscott as tow teams dragged their personal watercraft through thick foam on the sand to the heaving shoreline. Decked out in the latest neoprene and life vest technology, two surf heroes from my youth, Mike Parsons and Brad Gerlach, discussed their plan of attack. Eyebrows raised, Gerr gestured to where he thought a channel might be. All I could see were whitewater walls and crashing closeouts.

A few minutes later, the “contestâ€? began. There was no bullhorn, no loudspeaker announcing the competitors in the heat, just a small judges area on the cliff above Nelscott and a line of spectators along the ridge with cameras and binoculars trained on the outer reef. Nearly a mile offshore, black specks converged on an a-frame peak that dwarfed the competitors, putting the size of the swells in perspective. The surfers looked like fleas on the 40-foot faces. A bug-like chopper hovered over the action.
nelscott inside left.jpgHaving read about tow-in madness in soulful magazines like Surfer’s Path, I was prepared for a circus of engine noise, exhaust, and oil on water, but from where I was standing that morning, I witnessed something entirely different: There was no noise, except the crashing of inside waves and comments from the crowd. The surfers were completely in tune with each other and the ocean, sometimes driving almost a mile up the coast to avoid a sneaker set or speeding into the chaos for a quick rescue after a wipeout. The whole scene felt more like a dance than a contest and I wondered if the meager $7000 purse for first place was really what brought participants to this small Oregon locale from other exotic surf havens around the world.

nelscottshack1.jpg

After watching for a few hours, I walked back down from the vista point on the bluff, passing a beach house with two PWCs on a trailer in the driveway. A sign draped from the balcony read, “Support your local tow surfers!â€? A bearded man with dark skin and huge hands greeted me as I passed. He said his name was Ryan and that he’d been surfing the outer reef all morning, as he and his friends always did when the surf gets that big. As we watched a pro surfer tow into a massive inside barrel and somehow shoot out of it a few seconds later, Ryan explained that it would be impossible to ride these waves without a PWC, comparing the machines to chair lifts that bring skiers to the tops of mountains. I asked why he wasn’t out in the mountainous swells at that moment, showing the pros the ropes in a contest at his local break.

He smiled and said, “We weren’t invited.â€?

16 Responses to “The Big Dance at Nelscott Reef”

• December 17, 2006 at 6:34 pm | Pamela Clark says

Hi-

Great recap of the event. And, love those pictures!

Pamela

• December 18, 2006 at 7:36 pm | Asterisk says

Yo Rick,

Why wasn’t this guy invited? I’d love to know more about the drama surrounding his exclusion.

G

• December 19, 2006 at 8:06 am | Rick says

G,

I got the feeling that that was an in-depth story in itself – one that would require our spending some time with the local tow-in guys. It does seem like there should always be a spot available for the best local team in any contest, as a courtesy to the guys who surf there every time it breaks. It’s a bit of research I’m planning on doing through the winter… Stay tuned!

Rick

• December 21, 2006 at 1:09 pm | Greg says

Well-written, Great photographs, I don’t surf, never have. After reading this though, I feel like I’m missing something in my life. I’m from a small part of Middle Earth I call Ohio. Sites like this make me want to sell it all and move out there with only the shirt on my back.

Later.

• December 28, 2006 at 12:02 pm | Rick says

Greg,

Thanks for the comment. I only recently took up surfing myself (after moving to Portland, of all places). Now I’m hooked. A word of warning: If you do try it, beware… it can take over your life, cause you to sell the farm and move west, make your wife feel like a widow, and at at the same time provide you with some of the most satisfying feelings of your life.

Rick

• December 28, 2006 at 1:55 pm | Bill Jefferson says

Rick,

Great article! In my opinion the Nelscott Reef contest is a wonderful event for Oregon and the Oregon coast (specifically Lincoln City). It puts Oregon on the surfing map. I looked into the same issue of the locals not being included in the event. From several sources close to the oregon surfing ‘knitting circle’, I was informed that Oregon surfers were invited to participate in the tournament, but failed to turn in the applications and pay the entry fees.

Great work to the contest organizers!

Bill

• December 28, 2006 at 3:33 pm | Rick says

Bill,

Thanks for the info on that. I’m going to hook up with Ryan to find out more about the situation. I think that they may also be glad to have a contest that honors their spot once a year. Hopefully next year they will be in it!

Rick

• December 28, 2006 at 4:20 pm | Laura Eberly says

As a journalist with the News-Times, the paper of Lincoln County (which includes Lincoln City), Oregon, I wrote a story about the exclusion of local Tackle Buster Reef – the local name of the reef – surfers from the Nelscott Reef Tow-In Classic.

It’s posted at:

News-Times Managing Editor Gail Kimberling’s editorial regarding the matter is posted at:

Contest organizer Adam Wagner’s letter to the editor is posted at:

and Ossie’s Surf Shop owner Dan Hasselschwert’s letter:

• December 30, 2006 at 12:59 pm | Rick says

Laura,

Thanks for all that info. I enjoyed your article and found the resulting editorial dialog really interesting. Anybody wanting to dig deeper into the Nelscott contest controversy should check out those links above!

Take care,
    Rick

• January 2, 2007 at 9:28 pm | Dan says

Rick, I enjoyed your article, let me know if i can be of any help with telling you reasons local were not included…

dan

• January 2, 2007 at 9:29 pm | Dan says

An Oregon tow-in contest without Oregonians?
    Nelscott Reef regulars hope the best locals will represent the state in
    future events

By Laura Eberly of the News-Times

A stream of spectators walked up and down the Coast Avenue hill on
    Friday, stopping here and there to peer between the beachfront houses at
    Nelscott Reef about three quarters of a mile offshore, a formation that
    gives rise to the big waves that brought tow-in surfers from throughout
    the world to the Oregon coast last week for the second annual Nelscott
    Reef Tow-In Classic.

Top competitors had been waiting since Oct. 1 for word that optimal
    North Pacific conditions would provide larger-than-usual waves, and for
    the accompanying green light that meant contest invitees had 48 hours to
    get to Lincoln City for the big wave competition.

On the day of the contest, passersby walking from the boat launch at the
    bottom of the hill at Canyon Drive Park to the spectator lot provided by
    contest organizer Behemoth LLC near the top couldn’t help but hear the
    upbeat sounds of a live band coming from the beachfront yard of a
    vacation rental located just a few doors down from the contest-